Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Night on the town (with the Rockettes)

And I wish I'd have had my camera, but alas!
Here are my notes from opening night at Radio City Music Hall:

Okay, so right this moment I am radio city, for the 1st time since I've lived in
New York.

Why?

Because the wife of one of my best friends since kindergarten (Cousin Christy, I'm thinking of u and your cute accented "kindergarten") is a dancer in this year's Christmas Spectacular with the Rockettes. . . right.

She's wonderful and I love her (yaaay Alia!) and she chose me to get the other comp ticket. Because, she says, I always make her feel good about her performances, post show.
But what's throwing Andre (Alia’s husband, my friend) and I right now is the "glamour and grandeur" of it all.

The line outside?
Ridiculous.

This theater?
Ri-damn-diculous.

I just saw Miranda from Sex and the City in the lobby as we were walking to our seats in the orchestra. Well alright!

This scene (rendered complete by the bar of chocolate and the peppermint candy cane given us at the door) leads us to a conversation:

What is "art"? And further, what is art for Americans?

I think it’s the level of décor and celebration that makes it all too much for us, especially knowing the hard work that’s put in by struggling artists to make their mark through statements that could mean formidable change for the world. Or maybe that’s too deep for this crowd.

From Ailey to Radio City, it appears (preshow by the way) that it's full with glitz, glamour and beauty. But what is beauty?

And says who?

Back to the scene. . .

I forgot to mention the star light they gave us at the door, along with instructions and 3-D glasses. Do I really need this?
Only if it's free. (And a post-show recap makes it all very clear: this show is made for children. It’s a tradition. Breathe and let it be—or else we’ll incite a mass conniption.)

Oh, and apologies to my coworkers to whom I tried to sell an early love for Christmas music last week. With “frosty the snowman” in my ear, I completely understand and revoke my previous inquiries.

(Oh wait, a conversation about the union strike on broadway, which obviously didn't affect Radio City...What about the tours? It turns out that tech crews travel. Wow.)

Final notes (pre-show). . .

The show was supposed to start at 7:30…it’s four til 8, and nobody’s said a word. Andre says: I don’t ever want to hear another word about black people’s shows being late.

‘Nuf said.

Post show reflections:

Similar to the aforementioned sentiment of “breathe and let it be,” not to be confused with laissez-faire :), the Christmas Spectacular with the Rockettes is exactly that. A spectacle of sorts. It’s not offensive. It’s a good show. I think it’s necessary to place things in different parts of our understandings. I don’t know if anyone calls this show high art. I think I can go as far as to say, such a statement would be obviously incorrect.

What it is, is entertainment. A night on the town. And a creative (and traditional) way to usher in the holiday season (and the cheer that comes with it, if you will). . .even if it is November 14th

Merry Christmas!!!


No comments: