Tuesday, February 5, 2008

My neck...my back...!

They both hurt a lil bit because of the debauchery I got myself into today.

Sadly, I admit that I went on a true, fun-loving, perfect shopping excursion in Paris today :(... :)
For those of you who know me, you know I'm a shopaholic. I can't help being myself.
I love seeing new stuff on SALE, aptly called SOLDE here in Paris.
It turns out stores only have sales twice a year here, and people don't really shop outside of the sale periods because things are SO expensive.
I got a few robes (dresses), une chemise (a shirt), un sac (a bag) (yes Lindsey, I fell prey), and...something else I'm sure. Je me souviens pas maintenant (I can't remember now), but I just tried almost everything on and I have to return some things, because I didn't feel like trying it on at the store. Alas...

Ce weekend derniere (This past weekend), I went with my Finnish friend to the markets here...similar to Eastern Market in DC, or not too unlike a flea market anywhere. I enjoyed the day other than the freezing cold weather I had to endure to get through it. I was tempted by many objects, including a cute salt and pepper shaker set (for 4 euro), a nice vase at the same stand (for 10 euro), and a pair of cute timberland boots (no comment on how much i was considering paying for them). Ils etaient trop cher! (they were toooooo expensive)

What I did get at the market--by the way, ils sont deux marches grandes (there're two big markets) et nous avons visité les deux (and we went to both)...
À la premiere marché à Montreuil, j'ai acheté: (at the 1st market at the Montreuil train station, i bought)
1-un cadeau pour mon ami Dre (attendez-Dre!)-(a gift for my friend Dre...wait and see, Dre!)
2-les stockings-(leggings)
3-une jupe grise et marron-(a [cute] gray and brown skirt)
j'ai oublié les autre choses, mais c'etait bien (i forgot what else, but it was cool)

The other market (at Clignancourt) was better, cleaner, etc.
I got some boucles d'oreilles (earrings) handmade (or so i'll say) by this nice Senegalese man...two more brass boucles (bracelets) and a pair of bottes marron! (brown boots)*

*Now I know whoever has seen my shoe collection is right now thinking: i don't BELIEVE she got another pair of shoes, but I SWEAR i have no boots like this...ils sont trés confortable (they're really comfortable)...et je les adores! (and i love them!)
Let me add here that people in Paris really aren't all that fashionable. I think New York may be holding it down a little better in that category.
I'll try to take some shots of what I see, but be assured that people DO wear jeans beaucoup de temps ici (most of the time here).
--Also, what's throwing me off (and disheartening me just a little bit) is that they don't care about their shoes as much as I think we do. Ca veut dire (that's to say) I LOVE cuir (leather), and hope most of my shoes (within reason) will be made of leather...but the prices and fashion here reflects a general attitude of ca m'enfiche! (i don't care!)...I'm hurt :(
Leather costs so MUCH..and most people really just wear (dare i say it) plastic...or at least that's all i've seen in stores

Tant pis! (too bad)

Tomorrow I start my oral french classes, after which I hope to meet up with my cute train guy from last week...more on that later :)
Bisous!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, so I'm late, but I'm here and I'm catching up on the reading. I'm so super duper jealous that you're shopping in France. It's on my to do list right after visit Australia and South Africa (but I wouldn't mind terribly if it came before).

Plastic shoes? Ick!