Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Fio Maravilha, you speak the truth

1st- Merci beaucoup again for all of you who are reading me and loving me from afar.
I thrive off of your thoughts and goodness in prayers and joys for me. I will come back one day (even though several are voting I can stay until you visit--Vite-Vite!...(hurry, hurry!))

2nd-(and i'll try to keep this short and doux/sweet)--I just saw a comment on one of my most recent blogs from a good friend from preschool (shout-out to NCDC!) and in the comment she said I don't need a man i Paris, however fun it may be--this IS paris people. She went on to say the reason I don't need a man here is because Paris will end up making me love myself for having come at all.

My friend speaks truth. I know I've already spoken of the book Eat, Pray & Love, even to the degree you would think I'm still doing book publicity, but alas, I just believe in good books. And I HIGHLY suggest it to you ALL. Not just women.
There's a passage in the book when the author says something about how at least from the Italian perspective, Americans seem to LOVE working as hard as they do. That [we] don't spend much time actually pursuing happiness, or indulging in it. It has something to do with the Puritan roots, perhaps. And while I do love to succeed at doing well at what I pursue, I have to say I may not be a real authentic American, because I'm enjoying this time away from work immensely.
The amount of clarity, time, creativity, happiness I'm garnering from this trip already have been great. It's hard for me to vocalize my feelings, and I know I have yet to experience all the joy that will come from me having taken this journey--I'd even go as far as to say I should stay away from these "treacherous" men for at least a whole week...as much as I love the fair/er sex (depending on how you view it), I find my energy in their presence often zapped away...my attention often distracted and something beautiful passing me by.

The other night, I walked around after meeting a friend of my mentor for coffee (i had vin chaud, of course), in search of the American Church of Paris to find job listings, housing opps. I couldn't find it at first, but I found the words of my friend Johanes rang true. The joy of Paris lies largely in just walking around, seeing what's here, enjoying the architecture, the light of the eiffel tower, the dark of the early evening (there's hardly any sun over here), and countless other unknowns. I found myself taking pictures of doors.


Doors, guys. They're GORGEOUS--seriously. I'll post them soon, but there are so many treasures here...and they lead me to discover treasures in me. To walk around lost, not only in body, but in mind. Trying to figure out what I'm here for, what my path is and should be. TO somehow relish in this cluelessness for a sec, knowing the resolution will come in its time, and to not fear it when it does.
How often do we get to enjoy the joy of (1) not doing, and MUCH more importantly I think (2) not KNOWING...?
Take a second to understand that what you know is little to nothing, and then take a minute...or hour...or lifetime, to be thankful (to whomever you choose to thank) that you don't have to know because you are loved and kept safe by something bigger than (i know, hard to believe) even yourself.
It's an awesome thing. Embrace it. Love life.
And smile :)

No comments: