Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Sisters, Girls, Friends

this will have to be a recurring blog because i do so love at least the idea of sisters who are not quite blood-relations

today's will be short:
in October of 2008 i met two young ladies at my work-exchange at the alvin ailey school of dance who are among my newest sister-girlfriends
welela mar kindred and anita welch
welela is young at heart and body and spirit--she's a dancer and a model and she's on her way to Paris :)
Sooo fabulous, so beautiful and always aiming to find center (though she never seems far off), I just LOVE Welela because she asks the questions we sometimes forget to ask and she doesn't always have an answer
Two traits I always love in people, especially friends, are honesty and humility
One of my best friends in the world, Ms. (soon to be Dr.--PhD, by the way) Lindsey Alexander is the embodiment of both these things
Never afraid to tell me when my breath stinks (hypothetically) or when I'm acting like a bay in regard to anything, Lindsey, a predecessor to Welela and Anita, is yet another of my sister-girlfriends

Anita, also fabulous as all hell, is on tour right now, living in Pennsylvania. (Sorry babe I'm forgetting the exact name of the production...) but I know that Miss Anita (a few years younger than me and I hope to BE her!) is blowing her lungs out daily in preparation for a play that has something to do (forgive my brain freeze) with African-American history and spiritual and folktales. I'll update you with the name soon. She's pretty fearless and amazing. Her voice is beautiful and she practices ALL the time. I admire her diligence. She walks (regularly) in heels, from 55th and 9th aves, to 107th and something east of 9th.
That is FAR! One time, Anita said to me and Welela, "I love you guys--wait, I'm sorry, is it too soon for that?"

Hence our love relation. Humor, openness, freedom, and love.

I'm telling you about these wonderful women because I never ever would have thought I would meet such beautiful people in such an atmosphere or situation as...work, and volunteer work at that (read: no cash transactions) :)
Ailey--i love you!

Anyway, every Thursday morning, we would all come in with our singular baggage, or multiple loads, if you know me, and storytelling began.
Men (of course), work, respect, ethics, art, anything was a go and though I can't divuge much of the actual context of our conversations, I can tell you that Welela is substituting chocolate for men, and Anita is waiting to be called for Ragtime on Broadway.
We're all moving on up our ladders of life, but it's always good to know you have somebody new to your life who is truly rooting for you.

Anyway, I've gone on too long.
The point: love your sisters. And may they love you richly back.

No comments: