Monday, October 1, 2007

Knowing the News

“A little butterfly in Panama beat her wings and created a storm in China.”

Not at all could I ever say that I love what was turned up (as noted in the story, linked above) but I do love ordinary people, of which I am certainly one. Eduardo Arias in Panama seems to have just saved many lives, where several thousand had already been lost--to a poisonous ingredient in toothpaste being manufactured in China.

One of my favorite church songs is "Ordinary People," (not the John Legend version) where the lyrics read:

Just ordinary people
God uses ordinary people
He chooses people just like me and you
Who are willing to do as He commands
God uses people that will give Him all
No matter how small your all may seem to you
Because little becomes much as you place it in the Master's hand
(the rest of the lyrics can be found here)

So, I'm just thankful for the ordinary people who are willing to step outside of themselves every now and then to do something that may seem little, but that truly becomes much more than that.

Also, a shout out to Coalton Bennett, a friend of mine, who in true form, incited a brief but meaningful conversation with me regarding the news. I was saying I just don't pay that much attention to the news because it's so biased and, in general more disturbing than I feel is necessary for my life. I admitted to living in a comfortable, though potentially ignorant and dangerous bubble, most of the time. I went on to admit that my laziness and opposition to knowing all of what was in the news was leveraged by my constant exposure to like-minded people who do my leg-work for me. He suggested that even they have biases when they give me my daily dose of what's important in the world--and that I should be informed; that my brain was the filter I should rely on, and not the people or random media sources that come into my psyche.

At the end of the conversation, there was no right or wrong--there was just a truth that I couldn't deny. Bubbles are for kids. And it's time for me to up my news game, so I don't end up, like my friend suggested, finding out about something three years late that really mattered.

...and so here I am, adding a news component to my favorite things. Because being informed (and always smart) really is one of them.


No comments: